Chicago and Rapid City have a cold and temperate climate, with Chicago’s average temperature being 10.75 °C and annual rainfall 991 mm, and Rapid City’s temperature being 7.9 °C and rainfall 465 mm.
Houston and Denver have a warm and temperate climate, with Houston’s average temperature being 21.05 °C and annual rainfall 1259 mm, and Denver’s temperature being 10.35 °C and rainfall 360 mm, while the climate of Colorado Springs where Pikes Peak is situated at is semi-arid with an average temperature of 9.4 °C and annual rainfall 421 mm.
The seasons in Chicago, Denver, Colorado Springs and Rapid City are as follow:
- Spring – April to May are months when Chicago, Denver, Colorado Springsand Rapid City enjoy mild temperatures, which is perfect for walking around.
- Summer – June to August is peak tourist season for Chicago, Denver, Colorado Springsand Rapid City. Although it can be warm, humid and rainy in Chicago, it is recommended to pack a mix of clothes as temperatures can vary significantly depending if there is a passing heat wave or strong winds. Do pack a jacket for Denver and Rapid City as it gets rather cool in the evenings.
- Autumn – September to October are months when Chicago, Denver, Colorado Springsand Rapid City enjoy mild temperatures, which is perfect for walking around. It is recommended to pack layers as it becomes cold at night.
- Winter – November to March are the cold months in Chicago, Denver and Rapid City, when there are biting winds and frigid temperatures in Chicago, snow storms in Denver and cold weather alternating with warmer temperatures in Rapid City. Colorado Springs is not that chilly in winter, unlike other cities in the same state.
The seasons in Houston are as follow:
- Spring – February to April are months when Houstonenjoys mild temperatures, which is perfect for walking around and participating in the many festivals.
- Summer – May to August is when Houston is hot and humid. Not only are afternoon thunderstorms are common in summer, summer also marks the start of the hurricane season.
- Autumn – September to November brings a reprieve from the summer heat in Houston, though it is still warm. Hurricanes remain a possibility.
- Winter – December to January are months when Houston experiences mild winters. It is recommended to pack layers as it becomes cold at night.